Friday, November 18, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole



Here is another one of Lee's family recipes. His grandma, Meme, has tons of great recipes and this is one that we ALL love!

OK now really folks..... I can't tell you how many people are scared of yams. Either it's just the name or something your great aunt used to make that made you resent them for life. It is time to get over your fears... and it can be done with this dish!!! The picture really doesn't do it justice! A little true life story for you.... My dad and sister have NEVER EVER eaten sweet potato casserole at thanksgiving. I would b/c my aunt made the one with the big marshmallows and I loved that. I made this last year for my family. Laura and dad were the first to go back for seconds on this one. The ones who HATE yams! Yeah... so that should tell you a little something about this dish. And let me tell you... the topping of this dish is the best kept secret. It is crunchy pecan sugar heaven. Just try it. 

3 cups of sweet potatoes, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 t vanilla

Mix the above ingredients together and put in a casserole dish.

Topping:
1/3 c butter, softened
1 c light brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1 c chopped pecans (optional)

Mix and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Can be made ahead and frozen. 






No comments:

Post a Comment