Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake



All I can say is YUUMMMMMM and thank you Paula Deen!! I don't think I need to say more...




1 large angel food cake


Custard
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed


Glaze
1 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons strawberry Jello
1 cup water
2 cups of fresh strawberries, cut in half (if larger than cut in quarters)
Whole strawberries and mint leaves, for garnish 


Slice cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers. 





Custard
Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.





Glaze
In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Fold in strawberries.





Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl (I use trifle bowl). Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with 3 whole fresh strawberries and fresh mint leaves.





**I will double the glaze recipe next time because I like the strawberry part and I thought there could be more!

3 comments: