Sunday, April 24, 2011

Real Cajun Red Beans and Rice



My favorite cajun dish is red beans and rice. If I ever see it on a menu, I get at least a side of it. This is always my "go to" dish. This is another recipe from Mardi Gras to Mistletoe (my favorite cookbook). I have another red beans and rice recipe on my blog which is very easy that came from my dad. This recipe is a little more difficult but only because it can be time consuming. HOWEVER... if you do not want to spend the time following these steps... follow the foolproof directions: Soak beans for 8 to 10 hours. Drain beans and combine with the remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low heat for about 8 hours. Serve over hot rice. See.... this recipe can work for everyone!!! 


1 lb dried red beans
2 qts of water
8 oz salt pork
salt to taste
3 cups of chopped onions 
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 (4 oz) can of tomato sauce
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 T of salt
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t of black pepper
1 t of red pepper
1/4 t oregano
1/4 t thyme
3 dashes of Tabasco sauce
1 lb of link sausage, sliced (I like Down Home green onion)
Hot cooked rice


Sort and rinse the beans. Combine the beans with a generous amount of water in a bowl and soak for 8 to 10 hours; drain. Combine the beans, 2 qts water, the salt pork and salt to taste in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the onions, green onions, parsley, bell pepper, tomato sauce and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon salt, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, thyme and Tabasco; mix well.




Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add the sausage and cook for 45 minutes. 





Remove from the heat and let stand until cool; do not chill. Return the bean mixture to the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or to the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot cooked rice. 




**Note: Quick soak beans: rinse and pick through beans. Bring beans and 6-8 cups of water to a boil. Boil 2 minutes and simmer for 45 minutes. 


I make this recipe the day before because I like the mixture thick. So I made it on Saturday and let it cook all day Sunday. I try to smash some of the beans to make it even thicker. So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!!!!! 

1 comment: