Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cozy Deer Chili


Well as some of you know, I married an avid hunter. It's his love, his passion, and it's his life. During hunting season he breathes, sleeps, eats deer.... Because I cook it! I have learned to love deer meat as well as cook whether it's steaks, sausage, back strap, or ground meat. Deer meat can have a gamey taste/smell so there are certain dishes I use it for. It just doesn't work in others; however, I just love deer chili. I made it last night when it was raining and cold. It really warms you up... but that may be because I like it spicy! Lee is not much of a fan of hot foods but I like my nose running when I eat to know it's good! A lot of people like to eat their chili with Frito's and cheese, in other words... chili pie. I have to be in the mood for that b/c Frito's can be really salty and chili powder is so strong that I need a little extra something to soak up that strong flavor. So I serve my chili over rice with a side of saltine crackers. The crackers give that crunch and the rice settles the chili. This is all my personal preference and others may like their chili plain as day... to each their own my friends! Now to the recipe..... I don't see the need in making homemade chili when there is a little box called 2 alarm chili kit. It is the greatest invention for the perfect chili. I add a little extra to make it hearty... of course. So I hope you like it.




1 2 Alarm Chili Kit (I use all red pepper and I use the mesa bc I like mine thicker)
1 1/2 - 2 lbs of deer meat (may use ground beef or turkey)
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
2 cans of water
1/2 to 1 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (I use frozen onions and bell pepper and just eyeball it)
1 can of rotel (can add stewed tomatoes too)
1 can of ranch style beans
1 can of kidney beans (can use any type of beans that you like; for more chili, add more beans to it)
Shredded cheddar cheese


Cook according to package. I add all the tomatoes and beans after I add the seasonings. Top with cheddar cheese. Serve with Frito's or rice and saltine crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment