Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homemade Vegetable Soup


I hope everyone had a very happy thanksgiving. We went to Ruston and got to spend the weekend with Lee's family. We had a blast! I love spending time with his family! They really are the best. Unfortunately, I got sick on Saturday and Sunday. It did not conclude my holiday with a happy ending but I'm feeling better now. I was in the mood for a hearty soup and this one does the trick. My dad used to make this one a lot and it reminds me of growing up so it holds a special place with me. You can't mess it up either. I always serve it with buttery cornbread. Mmmm hmmmmm it is good!! Enjoy!!


1 1/2 to 2 lbs of tenderized stew meat, cubed (I used deer steaks this time and it was good!)
1 small onion, chopped or 1/2 bag of frozen chopped onions
1 big container of hot n spicy V8
1 can stewed tomatoes
3 potatoes, cubed
1 bag of small carrots (I like the thin ones)
1 family size canned corn
1 family size canned green beans
2 T of Worcestershire (I usually eyeball it)
salt/pepper
bay leaf


Brown meat in oil over medium meat in a skillet. (I like to add seasonings and Worcestershire sauce while meat is browning.) Add some to the soup too. In a big pot, add meat, V8, seasonings, onion, and tomatoes. Add 1 c of water. Let that sit for 1-2 hours on low heat. Add veggies and cover 1-2 hours until done. This makes a lot so feel free to half it. I like to freeze it.


Now that's what my dad's recipe calls for. Last night, after I browned the meat, I dumped everything into a pot and let it boil about 30 mins then simmer for a couple hours and it was perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment