Sunday, November 7, 2010

Taco Soup


So we just got back in town from New Orleans and after a weekend in the Big Easy, heading straight to the couch is the first thing on my mind. While I unpack, I throw together this great taco soup that is impossible to mess up. My friend, Heidi, made this for me one night while we were in grad school. It is actually a weight watcher recipe but I've made it my own. It's different every time I make it, just depends on what I have on hand. You really just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and your done! It's so good on a cold night plus it's healthy so you can't beat that.

1 lb of ground turkey (can use ground meat or deer)
1/2-1 cup of onions (I usually just eyeball it... depends on how much you like)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch seasoning
1 can of corn
1 can of rotel
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of ranch style beans
salt/pepper to taste
Cheddar shredded cheese
tortilla chips

** I use whatever is on hand. I usually add 2-3 cans of beans. I've used chili beans too. If your making a smaller batch, I would use just 2 but I eat on this all week so I add more.

Brown turkey in stockpot. Add onions and cook until clear. Add taco and ranch packets. Stir. Add all canned food but DO NOT DRAIN. Stir. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this, Carolyn. Love to make a big pot of something and have it for days! :)

    ReplyDelete