Saturday, February 5, 2011

To Moe... Cheesy Chicken Roll Ups


It has almost been a year since we have lost an amazing man. Lee's dad passed away right after Easter 2010. This picture was taken at the Easter Vigil when I converted to Catholicism. It was a great weekend that was spent with his parents and my parents. It has been a tough year especially during the holidays and Father's Day. I just loved that man because he reminded me SO much of my dad. He always had a solution for every problem, a reason for everything that happened and a life lesson for every situation. Lee has learned almost everything he knows from his dad.... and I'm thankful for that because he was a good man. I'm so happy I had a chance to know him so one day we can tell our kids all about him and all his stories he used to tell! It does weigh on my mind that he won't be here to see the birth of our children, the first steps they take, or even the first deer they shoot. Oh, I could go on and on. He would be so fascinated with my blog and how far my cooking has come! We were always in the kitchen cooking something. I believe that is how we formed our bond... through our love for cooking! We spent many hours in the kitchen cooking together and just talking. He was a good talker! He could go on and on and I just loved listening. So now that I put my cooking on the Internet for everyone to see, he wouldn't believe it. I personally think he would be impressed with me! His birthday was February 2. Libby, Lee's sister sent me a picture of her 3 boys (Lile, Rhodes, and Parks) having cupcakes and they were getting ready to send balloons up to heaven for Moe. They are just precious!! I know Moe was so excited to see these balloons come his way.


This has by far been the most emotional blog entry I've written but when I'm happy or sad, I eat! Food can be comforting when down and celebratory when happy. So when in doubt, eat good food. I wanted to make Lee something that reminded him of being home with his family and that is where cheesy chicken roll ups come in. Lee LOVES these. His mom made these a lot for him. I hope y'all enjoy these as much as we did.

Cheesy Chicken Roll Ups

1 can of chicken breast
1 can of crescent rolls
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (can use cream of chicken)
1/2 lb of Mexican Velveeta, cube (or can use regular Velveeta but add a can of drained Rotel for spice)
a handful of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1/4 a cup of milk (I'm guessing on this; I usually just pour a little milk; you want it a creamy texture)
salt/pepper

Roll out crescent rolls and separate. Place chicken in widest portion of crescent roll and roll up. Bake according to package.



Meanwhile, melt the remaining ingredients on the stove.

Once roll ups are finished, pour cheese mixture over crescent rolls in a baking dish. (I cooked rolls on cookie sheet then moved them into a Pyrex dish.) Top with pepper and bake another 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.

I served with a Cesar salad and broccoli. The broccoli and cheese mixture go very well together!! They are good the next day too.







ENJOY!

2 comments: