Sunday, January 30, 2011

I had to leave Mexico so I brought Mexico to me

Hey all! I just got back from Mexico yesterday and I was in the mood to bring a little bit of the Mexican culture back with me. First, I wanted to make something that was Mexican but I had enough Mexican food to last me a while (hahahaah ok for a few days) so what do I turn to??? Good ol casserole. But before I get to that, I want to share some awesome purchases that took place in MX. I was in Mazatlan, MX with is right across the sea from Cabo. There was so much to do as far as eating, shopping, nightlife, and most of all relaxing. We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Resort & Spa. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I did not want to leave. They had a pottery painting area where you could buy all sorts of bowls, platters, vases, piggy banks, toothbrush holders, soap dishes, etc. They all had a black outline of different designs and you painted inside the lines. The awesome workers would outline your painting and add an extra touch to it then was covered with a clear coat. Every one's turned out GREAT!! I thought this was such a great idea for all ages to participate in while lounging around. And you have something to bring home. These were my finished products...


I just loved them!! So of course I wanted to use them right when I got home, which I did!! So my next purchase was blown glass wine glasses. As a wedding gift, I got some really cool confetti blown glass serving pieces. I wanted the wine glasses but they were not available at Townsend House. So I went on a search in Mazatlan...... and I had to have them!!



Lee's birthday was on Friday (yes I was in MX on his birthday but I did get a pedicure while I was there to celebrate!) and I wanted to cook him dinner tonight. Since I'm still in my Mexican mood, I decided on Chicken with a Flair. OK people!!! This is SO good!!!!!!!! It was very easy and just yum. It has spicy Doritos, rotel, and cheese.. I could eat just those combined! This one is a crowd pleaser. The recipe came, again, from Laura Bowman but she got this recipe from her Mom, Melissa McElroy. Every time I have been to her house, she ALWAYS has the best hors d'eouvres. I have not had anything bad come from her.

So for starters, I bought Trejo's chips, salsa, guacamole and pico de gallo. Need I say more?



Now the Chicken with a flair.....

4 cooked chicken breast, chopped small
1/3 c milk
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of rotel
1 lb of Velveeta, cubed
1 c of shredded cheddar cheese
1 12 oz pkg of Spicy Dorito chips, crushed
pepper

Cook chicken in oven with butter and salt/pepper for about 35 minutes at 375. Chop.

Preheat oven to 350. In a greased 13x9 in baking dish, layer the bottom of dish with crushed Doritos (setting aside a handful to add to mixture; optional). Mix the remaining ingredients except cheddar cheese. Pour over Doritos and top with cheddar cheese.

Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and back an additional 20 minutes.



I served with black beans and a salad. Refried beans are good as well. ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment