Monday, March 14, 2011

Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff

Last week I made some beef tips and rice (recipe to come) and I had a package of stew meat left over. I wanted to make something different but everywhere I looked for recipes were either stews, soups, and beef tips... I thought about beef stroganoff b/c I have always been a fan of hamburger helper! So I thought I'd try to make it my self. I found this base recipe on AllRecipes.com and made a few alterations. I served over egg noodles with a salad and garlic bread.  And it was VERY good!!

BEFORE

1 to 1 1/2 lbs of tenderized stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion sliced
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (8 ounce)  package of fresh mushrooms
1 small bunch of green onions, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 can beef broth
1 cube beef bouillon
1/4 cup red wine
1 T all-purpose flour
1 T cornstarch
1 (8 oz) container sour cream (may use fat free)
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 package Lipton Onion soup mix
Egg noodles, cooked
Place beef in a bowl and pour some red wine... I let the meat get room temp while sitting in wine. The recipe didn't call for this but it turned out really good!!

Place the beef in the bottom of a slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place onion on top of beef.  Add mushrooms. In a bowl, mix mushroom soup, beef broth, and Lipton Onion Soup mix; add to crock pot. Top with green onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and bouillon.

In a small bowl, mix together the wine with the flour and cornstarch. Pour over the beef mixture.

NOTE: May use the beef broth in place of wine. Use the can to pour a little over meat and save 1/4 a cup for flour and cornstarch.
Cover, and cook on high for 1 hour then low for 6 to 7 hours. Stir in the sour cream, cream cheese, and parsley. Continue cooking for 1 hour.  Serve over egg noodles.

AFTER

ENJOY!!


1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, this looks like a great recipe for weekdays!! :)
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete