Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All time FAVORITE dinner

 

Carolyn's Casserole

I love this recipe!! When I was in college, I would make this for dinner once a week. My roommate (Jessica) and I would eat half of it in one night and the other half for lunch the next day (and may I remind you that it's cooked in a 13x9 inch pan). And Lee's family loves this recipe! I lived with the Rainwater family when I was in grad school. I always cooked this for dinner b/c it was a number 1 request. Every time I cook it, I think of Lee's dad, Mr. Aylmer. We were ALWAYS in the kitchen helping each other out, depending on who was the main chef. It is a great memory I have of him that I will never forget. So I hope this recipe is a great addition to your family dinners!! I usually serve it with cabbage and corn bread or garlic cheese biscuits (recipes below).


1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 can mushrooms, drained (optional)
1 can of rotel
1 can of cream of celery OR cream of mushroom
1 can of water
1 bag of minute rice (If you use regular rice [20 min], I would cook before and omit the can of water)
shredded cheese... can use cheddar or mixed cheeses
salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Generous amount of Worcestershire (I usually cover the meat)

Preheat oven to 350. Brown meat and drain. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until tender. Add Worcestershire and seasonings. Add rotel and simmer for 10 minutes. Add soup, can of water, and rice. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cover with grated cheese and cook until melted and bubbly. (Can substitute chicken).


Cabbage
1 head of cabbage, rinse and chopped into squares
2 slices of bacon, cut in half
dab of butter
salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Tony's
Cover the bottom of a stockpot with water. Bring bacon, butter, and seasonings to a boil. Boil for 1 minute then add cabbage and cover. Cook until tender (approximately 25-30), stirring occasionally.



Garlic Cheese Biscuits
1 1/4 cups of biscuit mix
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup water
Garlic Butter:
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t dried parsley flakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine the biscuit mix and cheese in a small bowl. Add water and stir until combined. The dough will be slightly moist. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the biscuits are firm and beginning to brown.
While the biscuits are baking, make the garlic butter. In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic powder, and parsley flakes. Mix well. As soon as you bring the biscuits from the oven, brush them with the garlic butter using a pastry brush.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so making this on Sunday!! Looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you will love it!!! It's physically impossible for me to eat only 1 serving!

    ReplyDelete